HomeSearch:
New Additions Funding Opportunities Projects Affiliated Centers Integrated Pest Management Research Publications

Dee Flat Codling Moth Management Project

Grant Recipient:

Hood River Grower-Shipper Association
PO Box 168
Odell, Oregon 97044

Jean Godfrey, Executive Director (program)
(541) 387-4769
hrgsa2@gorge.net
fax: 541-387-2734

Project Period:

March 1, 2007 August 31, 2008

Principal Investigator:

Jean Godfrey

Downloads:

R10 2007-01 Final Report.pdf (51.27 KB)
R10 2007-01 IPR1.pdf (97.38 KB)
R10 2007-01 IPR2.pdf (23.84 KB)
Dee Flat Codling Moth Management Proposal.doc (96.5 KB)
08 - Site visit report - Hood River Coddling Moth.doc (34 KB)

Description
The outcomes of this project will be the elimination or substantial reduction in the amount of azinphosmethyl and phosmet used in the 850 acres of pear and apple orchards in the Dee Flat area of the Hood River Valley. This will be accomplished through the implementation of integrated control programs for codling moth with decision making based on IPM principals and treatments selected from the least disruptive option. An intensive monitoring program will be conducted to support threshold based decision making. This project will provide a model for codling moth management applicable to the entire pear and apple industries in the Mid-Columbia region. This project has broad stakeholder support, and has significant environmental, economic, and social impacts.

Project goals and objectives
Performance Target 1:
Eighty percent of growers in Dee Flat currently make codling moth management decisions based on sub-optimal monitoring. Of those, 70 percent will adopt monitoring and threshold based decision making using the recommended rate of one trap per five acres.

Performance Target 2:
One hundred percent of growers in Dee Flat currently use OP insecticides for codling moth control. Of those, 70 percent will eliminate or reduce the use of OPs for codling moth control.

Outcomes
Performance Target 1:
Eighty percent of growers in Dee Flat currently make codling moth management decisions based on sub-optimal monitoring. Of those, 70 percent will adopt monitoring and threshold based decision making using the recommended rate of one trap per five acres.

During the 2007 and 2008 seasons, all of the growers participated in the monitoring program for codling moth using the rate of one trap per five acres with additional monitoring for beneficial arthropods and secondary pests. The growers were surveyed at the end of each growing season on their use of monitoring information in their pest management decisions.

For the 2007 season, 10 of 11 growers responded to the survey. Threshold based decision making for codling moth management was widely adopted but not absolute. All growers with codling moth trap catches exceeding the threshold (70%) sprayed at least some orchard blocks based on that information. Of those with codling moth trap catches below the threshold (also 70%), 57% sprayed at least some orchard blocks even though the threshold was not exceeded, and the remaining 43% did not spray because the threshold was not exceeded.

For the 2008 season, eight of 11 growers responded to the end of season survey. Only one grower sprayed even though trap catches did not exceed the threshold. All others made decisions to treat or not treat based on trap catches and thresholds.

For both seasons, all of the growers indicated that they used monitoring information on secondary pests, such as pear psylla and spider mites, in their pest management decisions. Sixty percent of the growers indicated that they also used monitoring information on beneficial arthropods in their pest management decisions, and all chose specific pesticide products with the intention of conserving the beneficials.

Performance Target 2:
One hundred percent of growers in Dee Flat currently use OP insecticides for codling moth control. Of those, 70 percent will eliminate or reduce the use of OPs for codling moth control.

The growers were surveyed at the end of each growing season on their pesticide use. Nine of 11 growers responded to the end of season survey for both seasons. All of the growers used either some AZM or phosmet during the 2006 and 2007 seasons. During the 2008 season, all growers eliminated OP insecticide use for codling moth control.

Project Links
www.hrgsa.org/
Hood River Grower-Shipper Association is now Columbia Gorge Fruit Growers

American Farmland Trust